Sunday, November 17, 2013

'Appy Hour Review: Dragon Dictation

Dragon Dication by Nuance
"Welcome to happy hour review on Dragon dictation by Nuance. For giggles I am actually going to dictate part of the blog  on Dragon dictation app. Just to see how well it comes out. I am going to leave in all of the hum all of the errors to see how accurate this app really is. 

One of the things I've noticed is that next week is pretty accurate when I was playing with last time however OT often comes out it's own cheese oh well.

One of the very interesting ways to use this app is to practice articulation.  It forces the speaker to speak slowly and clearly. It's quite funny to try this with the dysarthric five year old. The stories that he was trying to tell came out horribly wrong and it did get a laugh.

Unfortunately what I have noticed is that the app frequently freezes one after I am mailing the intended notes to myself so that I can for the type it in my blog. The other thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a save feature. When I first started using it I would talk at length and close out.  and when I went to go send it to myself again it wasn't there so if you do not e-mail or text it or posted immediately after your completed with your dictation then it's not going to save it for you and you've lost your entire conversation with yourself.

I have to say though for a free app it's incredibly accurate. Comparing it to Dragon dictation for the computer which is generally a multi hundred dollar program it is a phenomenal find and peace assisted technology that can be incorporated into classroom use as long as the person has a quiet carrier to dictate."


As you can see, Dragon Dictation Free is pretty useful if you don't already have Siri, which I do not.  And as long as you are in a quiet area to speak, the notes are often spot on.  You do have to remember to state "period" or other sentence markers, or you will end up editing post dictation.  Also, you must be aware of the length of the time you are speaking.  After a few minutes of speaking, the app needs to process the information into text, which may result in the loss of train of thought.  For someone with dysgraphia or the average person with an older iPhone, this speech to text app can mean improved written output on the go.  


No comments:

Post a Comment