Saturday, March 15, 2014

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Breakfast Cookies

We struggle to get protein into the kids at breakfast.  They love nuts, for which we are lucky, but don't necessarily care for them first thing in the morning.  Usually, we make a weeks worth of Banana Chocolate Chip muffins but even that doesn't have much in the protein department.

I looked and looked for a recipe but didn't find what I wanted, so I created my own: Everything but the Kitchen Sink Breakfast Cookie

Preheat oven to 375.

Blend until smooth:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup organic unsalted, unsweetened creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

In second bowl combine:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Stir the dry ingredients into the wet.

Then Fold in:
1 cup chopped nut (whatever you like, I had pecans and almonds in the pantry)
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried fruit (optional)

Place 1 ounce (I use a cookie scoop any time I make cookies but it is basically a heaping tablespoon) scoops onto a Parchment Paper Lined cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes. Then cool on rack.  Throw into an air tight container when cooled or freeze :)

Now, I don't know the calorie counts or exact nutritional value, but it has to be better than Eggo Waffles...

No comments:

Post a Comment