Monday, August 11, 2014

Lemon Zucchini Waffle Bread or Everything is better as a waffle series

Lately I have been in a baking mood, especially after seeing so many great recipes on Facebook.  My most recent flavor expedition was the Lilluna for the Lemon ZucchiniBread.   I found it a little too sweet for my taste, and the cooking time and directions for the loaf size ended up being quite off, and I  had to cook for nearly 90 minutes while it oozed over the size.  But I REALLY liked the flavor combination.  So, I modified to my liking, and hope you like it too!
Bowl 1, combine below ingredients and set aside.
2 cups whole wheat white flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

In a mixer or second bowl, beat time smooth and creamy
½ cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk + 1/4 tsp of white vinegar

Next, add
The juice and zest of ½ large lemon (or a whole small)
1 cup shredded zucchini

Finally, add bowl 1 slowly to the wet ingredients. Mix gently till well incorporated.
Usually I would have made muffins, baking them at 350 for 20-25 minutes.   But I have been on a waffle kick. So I decided to try cooking the batter via Belgian waffle maker. 
Well, it worked and they came out quite tasty.  Almost like having the end piece in each bite.  Best thing was the speed at which they cooked.  2-5 minutes.  Spray with non-stick between each batch.  
That’s it.  For an added bonus, a drizzle of standard icing, made by mixing ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and 2 tbsp of lemon juice; it gave a little extra sweetness.

Overall, these were really good.  It’s a great way to use (not my) garden zucchini. Or save a little summer goodness by freezing them.  Then instead of the kids asking for the store bought frozen waffles, there is a tastier and healthier version waiting for them in the freezer.  Each batch used approximately 1 cup of batter, equating to 4 1/2 full waffles, but that may vary depending on the type of waffle maker you have.  You don't think that is a lot, but because they are a little heavier than your standard waffle, they can be great for breakfast, brunch, snack or dessert.
Try them out and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment