So this past June, I finally talked the hubby into going to Disney with the boys. And crossed my fingers that we would have a good time. We didn't.
We had a great time!
But here is why...
1. The family suite. If you can afford it and you have more than one child, get a family suite. Even in the value resort like we stayed in, it provided a separate area for the kids and parents. We had the ability to shut the door. Read. Watch tv other than cartoons.
2. Go when it rains. Ok, let me specify. Go when there is a freakin' tropical storm sitting on top of the Walt Disney World Resort for your entire trip. Though soaked to the bone, our kids didn't mind. And therefore we didn't mind. The lines were minimal, 15-20 minutes tops. And for those that were too long (60+ minutes) the Fast Pass took care of it. Remember, you have to grab your Fast Pass early in the day because they run out. Go to Job Lot before you leave, purchase $1 ponchos, or in Mudge's case, use a garbage bag.
3. Go Meal Plan. We did the Quick Service meal plan that gave 1 snack and 2 meals each day per person staying in the room. It included a drink, entree and dessert. But be weary that you need to know what places are quick service versus a sit down dining place.
5. Get the refillable mug. Use your mug at meal time and stow away the bottled drinks that come with the meal for when you go to the theme parks.
6. Dessert does not meal chocolate cake. They have apple slices with caramel and other things that aren't as calorically challenging.
7. Buy a waterproof camera (or case). See #2.
9. Know ahead of time, the height limits. It can save a lot of aggravation and tears if you bypass the things you cannot ride. A crazy overwhelming place of which you will not see every detail and hope that you can go back again another day when the children are all above 48" tall.
10. Go back for a nap or quiet time. Almost everyday, we went back to the hotel after lunch, rested, then went back on the bus to a different theme park. Worked beautifully for our kiddos who are 6 and under.