Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hey Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today... How to get ready for Summer Vacation

There's a hundred and four days to summer vacation
when school comes along just to end it.
And the annual problem for this generation is finding
a good way to spend it...



Like Phineas and Ferb, I find myself trying to think of things to do during the summer with my kids.  I am blessed with a wonderful job that allows me to have my summers "off" with my children.  But I approach it like my job because if I don't have things planned, I may go crazy.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the days in the backyard, swimming in the pool or going down to my grandfather's beach house.  But if I don't have my activities in my back pocket, my children may attack.

So last year I purchased an accordion folder with some file folders and got to work.  I created themes to my folders, for instance, bugs, dinosaur, farm, ocean, and the important rainy day section.  Then I kept my eyes peeled at any of the pamphlet stands, you know the ones that have all of those brochures outside many restaurants and convention centers, and grabbed them all.  
  • I also searched the Entertainment Book.  Most include great deals on local venues including places to go and eat, like the Children’s Museum or Newport Creamery, as well as India (great Mango Daiquiris, btw).  
  • Another great value is your AAA card.  If you don’t already have one, it is a great investment.  Many destinations give a AAA discount on tickets, and let’s not forget about discounted shopping bonus, as well, like Wrentham Outlets and Target.com.  
  • The other great find I discovered was the Breathe New Hampshire Fun Pass http://www.breathenh.org/Page.aspx?pid=328.  This is great for the Northern New Englanders or the day trippers.   For about $30, you get around 100 coupons of BOGO free or half price for destinations in Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire.  It is paid for basically with one visit to Story Land.

Once basically organized, I made little bingo or scavenger hunts or just printed some off the free learning websites like www.abcteach.comwww.familyfun.com, or www.dltk-kids.com.  This creates the added bonus of making learning fun, even if the children don't realize I am doing it.  

The moral of the story is that to be the Phineas and Ferb your kids want you to be takes a little effort. But the exploration and organization pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment