Sunday, May 29, 2011

"The meaning of life is to live life”- Jon Blais

I don't think jogging, especially morning jogging, is healthy. I mean if morning joggers knew how tempting they looked to morning motorists, they would have just stayed home and done sit ups. ~Rita Rudner

So today I ran my first 5k in Seekonk, Massachusetts for the Blazeman Foundation's People with ALS.  ALS is also known as Lou Gherig's diseases and as the disease that inspired the book Tuesdays with Morrie. But as my first race, it was very inspiring and appropriate on this Memorial Day Weekend.  The Blazeman Foundation for ALS focuses on two main causes: awareness and research fundraising to one day find a cure for ALS...So Others May Live.  Jon Blais was a teacher, a tri-athelete, and a good friend to many.  In 2003, Jon Blais was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.  And as strong willed as he was, advocating strongly and becoming a voice for those with the disease, he passed away in 2007.  

In honor of his strength and commitment, the foundation was born and today, I became a small part in it. Jon Blais' father started with a ceremony scattering his son's ashes on the field on which he enjoyed playing sports. It was incredibly touching and invigorating.  So off I went with music on and determination that I would run (ok slowly jog) an entire 5K.  And dammit I did. 43 minutes and 30 seconds later, hot, sweaty and red faced, but smiling,  I crossed the finish line.  

I was incredibly proud of myself for doing what I set out to do.  Granted, we will see what the next two days will bring me, but is fine.  Bring it. Because I know I will do another one, when it is not humid and 80, and beat my time :)  Happy Memorial Day.


The Blazeman Foundation: http://www.waronals.com

No comments:

Post a Comment