Sunday, May 1, 2011

The only thing I am good at growing is weeds....

So my past few attempts at gardening have been, how should I say, unsuccessful.  First year, I planted seeds haphazardly in the dirt not paying attention AT ALL to depth, amount of seeds, kind of light, etc.  Second year, less seeds,  but just as chaotic since the kids "helped" me plant.  I got a few beans and peas out of the deal, but that is it. Well this year, I tried something different. I bought seedlings from a greenhouse.

I know, I know.  Why didn't I think of this before???  Everyone I know told me last year (after I had planted of course) to get seedlings and manure.  So I made a mental post it note and I kept asking my friends when and where since February.  So today I made the trip to Al's Greenhouse on Scituate Ave in Cranston with Booger after the race.  They were incredibly friendly and helpful, and spent under $75 for the lot including peppers, lettuces, carrots, celery and strawberries (to name just a few).

Not only was it easier and made organizing my garden that much more pleasurable, it was so much more kid friendly.  Booger was able to help me pick the plants, dig the holes and water the garden.  Mudget was sleeping, so it made it that much easier as well.  So if you want to attempt gardening with the results of harvesting and reaping the benefits of your sweat and labor, get seedlings and put at least one of your children to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment