Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fall Fun

I love fall.  It is probably my most favorite time of year.  The weather is cool and crisp.  It makes me want everything apple, pumpkin or candy corn.  So I have been putting my feelers out on local places to do pick-your-owns.
Amazingly enough, there is a site called, you guessed it, Pick Your Own that helps identify places to harvest apples, berries, pumpkins, and whatever else might be in season in different Rhode Island counties.  I just highlighted a few in Providence County that I think I might stop by:
Barden Family Orchard in North Scituate, RI
Dame Farm and Orchards in Johnston, RI
Harmony Farms in Harmony, RI. I have been here a few years ago when Boog was just in a stroller. It was off the beaten path and quaint.
Steere Orchard in Greenville, RI.
Hill Orchards in Johnston, RI. They even provide a run down of exactly when to pick certain types of apples on their site.
Wojcik's Farm in Blackstone, MA. Though not in RI, its just a few minutes away for us, so we went there last year and had a great time.
Looking for a productive way to get lost?
Pumpkin Patches and More.org provide a listing of hay rides, corn mazes, and pumpkin patches in the Rhode Island area.

But if you live in Massachusetts, you can check out Davis's Farmland and MegaMaze. Always an impressive adventure.  Last time we went, Boog was in the toddler back pack and it took us well over an hour.

Near Putnam, Connecticut is Fort Hill Farms, hosting a Farmer's Cow corn maze in 2 abilities, under 8, lasting about 30 minutes, and over 8 which could take nearly an hour and a half, per their comments. Plus, you can get their delicious ice cream after you've worked up an appetite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment