Monday, September 12, 2011

Passport to the Trails: Caratunk Wildlife Refuge

Way into Seekonk, MA, I say this relative to my location in the northwestern corner of Rhode Island, is the Caratunk Wildlife Refuge.
This was our 5th expedition on our Passport to the Trails from the Audubon Society of Rhode Island (just one more to go to get our special prizes).  And I have to say, probably the most pleasant of hikes we have had to date.  It was a gorgeous 70 degree day, low humidity, and low mosquito count.
The trail itself was very easy and short.  It took about 20 minutes to find the hidden symbol.  With our short little legs, it was just enough, as Mudget really needed a nap.
The oddity of the day was the plethora of grasshoppers.  I have never seen so many in one area, it was unreal. I didn't realize until the end that all of the flashes of flight were actually the grasshoppers heading from the flattened grassy trail, into the leafy tall grasses to hide.  I thought initially they were moths. Silly me.
Overall, the Passport program has helped me help my boys discover and explore natural habitats.  It has also helped me play with my camera and do some photography. You have until September 30th, 2011 to complete at least 6 trails in order to get a prize.  I would highly recommend this FREE program for families next summer, so they may challenge themselves into getting into to nature more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment