Tuesday, July 26, 2011

If only Shaggy and Scooby had one of these...

One of the best things I did for semi self sufficiency is make a snack drawer. Located in our little pantry closet is a 3 drawer Sterilite container. Top drawer, a thousand boxes of pasta and rice. The bottom, a million packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast and dinosaur oatmeal. But it is the middle drawer that is parenting gold. The snack drawer.

In it is a plethora a mostly healthy things. Some prepackaged, like Clif Z bars, Quaker granola bars, Planters Nutrition Trail Mix, and Healthy Option fruit snacks. But when I had to divvy up the boxed and bagged things, I had a semi moral dilemma. The green mom in me wanted to use reusable containers, but the kids wouldn't choose them because they couldn't readily see what was inside. I also noticed freshness was an issue, getting stale quickly. So then the practical mom in me conceded and decided to use zip top snack bags. I love them. Portion control. Freshness. And viewable contents. So in go goldfish, Cheezits, popcorn, whatever...

Now the kids just ask to grab a snack or I go tell them to get something from the snack drawer. And because I filled it, I don't care what they pick.

And what's even better is that I can store the good stuff like our cherished Milanos where they can't reach, on another shelf...

No comments:

Post a Comment