Friday, June 17, 2011

It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class.


"Mom, 4 times 3 is 12, right?"
"Yes, it is. Why do you know this?"
"My brain just taught it to me."

And there it was.  A 5 year old who knew the concept of multiplication.  So I tested him a little further, as we drove down the road.  5x3.  He looked into a different direction as if to see the numbers, took a moment and blurted the answer. 15.  OK, 2x8.  Squinty eyes, finger calculating in the air.  16.  I didn't teach it to him. Neither did his wonderful Kindergarten teacher.  "Boog, how do you know this?"

Well, come to find out, Boog and Kyle were in the car one day a few weeks earlier and Kyle explained to him that multiplication was just addition.  That was it.   That was all it took.  Now, don't get too Rainman on him, because he couldn't go past double digits accurately, but it is pretty interesting.  But it goes with his personality, concrete, black and white, numbers.  He gets things easily when there are rules, which is all math is, rules.

So who is to say that my future MIT graduate will pay for my nursing home staying later in life?  I suppose I shouldn't get too excited, he only did just graduate from Kindergarten today.

No comments:

Post a Comment