Monday, June 27, 2011

when the lettuce is as tall as the child...

Ok.  I am a novice when it comes to gardening so I am very excited to see it actually working this year.  I have peas ready for picking, strawberries starting to turn red and some zucchinis popping out of the blossoms.  I've been plucking basil for pizza and and mint for tabouli.  But WTH do I do with 3 1/2 foot tall lettuce?

I noticed, as I was getting something from the garden with Mudget this morning, that my red leaf lettuce is as tall as him; I know he is small but the lettuce is still gargantuan.  I was told to pick leaves from the bottom and it will continue to grow.  So I have noticed.  I am trying to use it in wraps.  I can make the a simple salad.  I suppose I could find a smoothie that incorporates it, but I would rather not.   Sweet lord, I can't eat that much lettuce and soon it will look like I have the bean stalk from Jack's story.

I've come across some good recipes but in the mean time...Anyone have any suggestions to keep it from shooting stalks to the moon????

Missy's Candied Walnut Gorgonzola Salad



No comments:

Post a Comment